Discogs has data from the Discogs Marketplace and Nielsen’s Mid-Year Report that tells a story of just how much the music industry has changed within a year. Here’s the summary…
- Vinyl continues to be the top seller on Discogs with over 3 million records sold this year so far.
- Cassettes make a resurgence selling more than 60,000 releases – an increase of 43% over last year.
- CD sales grew nearly 30% on Discogs, but dropped 12% according to Nielsen.
- Album sales overall were up on Discogs with catalog releases (older than 18 mo.) seeing the biggest increase over last year.
- Collectors looking to own a piece of history fueled David Bowies rise to the number 1 spot for most sold albums. While Prince has 3 releases appearing in the top 30, ‘Purple Rain,’ ‘Around The World In A Day,’ and ‘Diamonds And Pearls’.
You can check out a super long report with loads of stats and infographics here.
Discogs is the user-built database of music; with a catalog of more than 6,500,000 recordings and 4,000,000 artists, Discogs is the largest physical music database in the world. In addition, Discogs connects buyers and sellers across the globe. With more than 10 million items available and thousands of sellers, this is the premier spot for new releases to hard to find gems. Download the Discogs App for iOS (here) and Android (here).