Everyone has old technology lying around – from retired smartphones to extra keyboards, wires, monitors or speakers. This holiday season, RL Solutions and TechToronto have partnered with Free Geek Toronto to help Torontonians find new homes for this tech with a week-long #DonateTech Drive. Taking place December 11 to 15, donation bins and information booths will be touring the downtown Toronto core educating and asking Torontonians to give the power of technology.
“In this hectic season when we’re so focused on shopping and replacing the old with the new, the #DonateTech drive gives people the opportunity to make a difference with their retired tech,” says Ryan Fukunga, Executive Director, Free Geek Toronto. “Too often, technology is tossed away when it still has so much left to give. When you donate your old tech, you’re giving someone the opportunity to build invaluable technical skills, perform better in school and access new job opportunities.”
- We throw out a lot of tech in Canada- about 14-million tonnes a year. Donating your tech ensures it gets recycled responsibly instead of getting sent to a landfill.
- Upgraded to a new laptop? That retired laptop can get new life supporting students in Toronto who don’t have access to technology. Tech that you’re no longer using is a gateway to technical skills and educational resources to help them succeed.
- Retired cellphones may not have the latest features, but they still give the power to stay connected to members of the community who may not be able to afford new phones.
You can find the #DonateTech booth at the following locations:
- The DMZ at Ryerson University – Monday, December 11, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- WeWork 33 Bloor Street – Tuesday, December 12, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- MaRS Discovery District – Wednesday, December 13, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- City Hall – Thursday, December 14, Friday December 15, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
For full details on locations and hours of operation, please visit:
“Being a software company, we understand how powerful technology is and how often access is taken for granted,” says Mike Etzinger, VP Marketing, RL Solutions. “We’re excited to have the opportunity to work with the team at Free Geek Toronto to raise awareness about the impact that donated technology can have in our local community.”
Do your colleagues or your organization have tech that could use a new home? Reach out using the contact information below. Donation bins are available to be dropped off and picked up from your office.
Be sure to share your donations on social media using #DonateTech to raise awareness on the digital divide and Free Geek’s mission. Feel free to share a little backstory on your donation (i.e. the first time you got it, how the tech has helped you grow) and how you can now pay it forward!