We sent out a few questions to Dream Affair via email and they sent back some responses – a Q & A type thing, get it? Here’s what they said…
1. Please introduce yourself / yourselves.
Hi, this is Hayden from Dream Affair
3. When and what made you first pick up an instrument and when did decide you wanted to be in a band?
My dad played bass in punk and post-punk bands in the eighties. That made me want to pick up guitar and bass when I was 10 and start playing in bands.
4. Dream Affair started as a guitar based band, and shifted to be synth-heavy. What influenced the change?
I think we are still both guitar based and synth based at the same time. I think both instruments compliment each other well and have different potential that neither can achieve on their own.
5. How did a band who didn’t grow up in the 80s get influenced and make music that sounds like it could have been futurist tracks released in 1981?
We fell in love with that genre of music and had an older generation of cousins and parents that showed us that music.
6. New Order or Joy Division?
[youtube_sc url=”http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg4i-fwgBac” theme=”light”]
7. Philadelphia seems to be breeding lots of dark synth music over the past little while like yourselves and Cold Cave. Why do you think this is happening?
I’m not sure why, but there are good bands from Philadelphia like SGNLS, Void Vision, and Hot Guts.
8. Your new EP “From Now On” is out now on Artificial Records. Can you tell our Culture Addicts readers a bit about the record?
It is almost a compilation of sorts. It contains two tracks from our last tape and one track from our first EP. The new songs further our sound concentrating even more about the sonic qualities and space of each individual instruments and creating a mood rather than just displaying emotion.
Watch Dream Affair’s latest video for the title track, which is lifted from ‘From Now On’ via YouTube below.
[youtube_sc url=”http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiglaSBN_z0″ theme=”light”]
9. How did you hook up with one of our fave labels Hand Drawn Dracula / Artificial Records?
We became friends with Josh who runs Artificial when I was on tour with Frank (Just Frank). He heard our last tape, and we decided to put out a record with him.
10. What’s your favourite live venue that you have played? What do you love about it?
My favorite venue was La Mécanique Ondulatoire in Paris. It was round and tunnel-like. It must have been an old cellar. The sound was great and practically sold out. People were genuinely interested in the music. In Europe, they treat their musicians very well.
11. Thanks for your time. One last question, why should people care about Dream Affair?
Because we’re better than everyone else.
A big Culture Addicts thank you to Hayden for taking the time to answer our questions. Grab their very gloomy, cool ‘From Now On’ EP now via Artificial Records.